Re: [A/S] OPD Propane Cylinder Conversion

Harvey,
 The "recertification" on propane tanks consists mainly of a visual
inspection, and is good for 5 years. If the tank is hydrostatically
tested, it's good for another 12 years, but that's seldom done.

If the valve is "frozen" to the tank, it could damage the threads in the
tank, rendering it useless. Although I don't KNOW, I'd doubt that any
kind of repair would be acceptable. The best thing would be to avoid
damaging the threads in the first place. If they were my tanks and I was
worried about it, I'd do one of 2 things:

Attempt to remove the valves myself, taking my time and using all the
appropiate tricks. Lots of penetrating oil, and vibration. Disassemble
the valve and beat on it with a hammer or better yet, an air hammer.
That sort of vibration will often loosen something that you'd swear was
welded together. Try turning the valve a bit "tighter" before attempting
to "loosen" it. Etc., etc.

The $6.00/hour "expert" at the propane place doesn't know about these
tricks, nor does he care.

Or, take the tanks to a place that does hydrostatic testing. They're
used to doing this sort of thing and have the know-how to remove the
valve w/o damage to the tank. While you're at it, have them replace the
valves after doing a hydrostatic test and recertify the tanks for 12
years instead of the usual 5. Dunno about your area, but I have such a
company just a few miles from here, and they're very reasonable.

As others have said, it's hardly worth it to have steel tanks
recertified and switched to the OPD valves, it's almost as cheap to
simply replace them. Not so with aluminum tanks. FWIW: I had the
aluminum tanks on our 1973 Avion switched to the new valves done a bit
over a year ago and there was no trouble. Had I realized that there was
a potential problem, I would have taken my own advice above. I suppose
some of it depends on what thread sealer was used on the original
valves.

                                       <<Jim>>