Re: [A/S] 79 w/Excella-Vac hydraulic disc brakes

Jim,
 Maybe Airstreamers with those hydraulic brakes have had different
experience than I have, but I personally wouldn't want them. I've had
older vehicles that "sat" for long periods (like a trailer does for most
of us) and the brakes were often problematic. The pistons stick in the
cylinders, so the brakes either don't work at all or won't release once
they activate.

The biggest downside that I see is that YOU are the mechanic. If you're
like many of the people on the List (me!), that won't bother you. If you
are like many others, and take your trailer to the "professionals" for
all repair, you're going to be out of luck.

I don't doubt that they work great when they're working, but standard
electric brakes work well also. The biggest problem with electrics is
the controller in the tow vehicle, and you're going to have that problem
with this outfit anyway.

Hint: I spoke with a fella whose 5'er never had good brakes until he
removed the drums and trued up the armature surface. Says he can slide
the tires anytime he wants now.

                                     <<Jim>>