[A/S] Propane Tank Refilling

Hello to all and Happy Thanksgiving,
A strange thing happened to me yesterday when I had a thirty pound LP
tank refilled at a gas supply place down the road.
I took the tank to the booth out in the back of the store and placed it
on the scales for it to be refilled.
The Man that owned the store came out to fill it and he looked at my tank
only to say he could not refill aluminum tanks. I had just repainted my
steel tanks silver (to match my Airstream).
I told him they were steel and that I had been getting the same silver
tanks filled there for the last seven years.
He looked the tanks over for about three minutes and finally took them
into the store for a second opinion from his hired help.
After ten minutes of waiting he finally came back with my tank and filled
it.
I think I know why he did it (old age) but it leaves me with a question;
Do some refilling stations refuse to fill Aluminum tanks?
Has anybody out there ever ran across this?
By the way, the tank cost $14 to refill here in NW Alabama.
Mike Kent