[A/S] what is it?

Hi Listies,
We noticed a sheet metal box underneath our trailer, just behind the spare
tire, before the steps, directly underneath the center of the floor between
both tables.  We've stripped the old carpet & pad, and there is nothing
noticeable from the inside on the plywood flooring.
It measures approximately 3-4 " deep, 15-18" long & about 3' wide, directly
in line with the tongue.  What could it possible be holding/hiding?
We are confident someone out there knows what it is.

Tricia & Conrad
'83 Excella 31'
WBCII #25777 WDCU