Re: [A/S] Cheap Airstream/new trannie

Kathy,
 It's probably too late, but you should have gotten a 4th and 5th
opinion.

Today's trannys are VERY complex in their controls, being now tied to
the ECM (Engine Control Module, or "computer"). Things like a bad
Throttle Position Sensor can cause problems like you describe, and
that's a part that sells for well under $100.00.

But, you make a good point about "the chance you take with used
vehicles". I paid $11,000 for my '94 Dodge/Cummins a year ago. Had to
get the A/C fixed for about $150.00 and spent about $2000.00 rebuilding
the transmission. (coulda probably had it done for that, but I'm more
confident of my own work than that of some shyster transmission shop).
Sooo... I have a truck that retails in the high 30's for less than $15K,
and it should be good for another couple of hundred K miles without too
many problems.

Anothe way to look at it is, "how many payments on a new truck does that
transmission represent?"

There are those who simply must buy new, and I have no trouble with that
if they want it and can afford it. Those folks usually are also the kind
who want no surprises, either on-the-road failures OR financial. Others
are willing to do some P.M. to hopefully minimize chances of failure and
have set aside a couple of bucks to repair it if need be. Meanwhile, I
have $15K left over to use for travelling. <<grin>>

                               <<Jim>>