Re: [A/S] Re: size of trailers

Jim,
We've traveled with friends who tow a 30'  Avion. As you said, it can be a
gorgeous vehicle (if the current owner cared for it like you would).

Sandie and I almost bought one on three occasions.  Each time, the logistics
of buying privately and selling our Airstream privately while living in it
overwhelmed us.  If a gorgeous used Avion had been available through a
dealer, who would have given us a good price plus let us take a week for
moving, I suspect we would have one today.
-----------------
> But, everything has a downside, as you know. It'll be heavier, harder to
> back into a campsite, will rule out some campsites (we stayed in 2 WV
> state parks on the way to the Escapade where the campsites were just
> barely adaquet for our present rig), etc.

True, the Avion is considerably heavier, but being harder to back into a
campsite might be affected by other factors. I suspect the ease or
difficulty of backing into a campsite is more a factor of the tow vehicle
configuration.  I've used three different tow vehicles with our '77 31' and
'86 32'  Airstreams.  Backing a big Airstream into a small campsite is
different with each tow vehicle.

With the Van, backing is a piece of cake. The reason is I can open the door,
step out onto the running board with my left foot, hold onto the door with
my left hand for balance, look directly at the back of the Airstream, use my
right hand to steer and my right foot for braking and accelerating. I've
been cheered by onlookers while backing out of parkng lots I should never
have entered. Backing our big Airstream seems so easy by comparison to
backing with our Mercury or Suburban and navigating by the mirrors or
cranking my head to look behind me.

Because backing into a small campsite is far easier for me with the Van, the
size of the campsite is less of a consideration with our 31' Airstream than
when backing with our big Mercury Wagon or GMC Suburban.
----------------------
> Our truck is probably adaquet for towing that heavier trailer, God knows
> that folks tow MUCH more than that with a 3/4-ton Dodge, but it'll be
> pushing the book's tow limit.

Jim, one of the best things I learned about towing a heavy trailer was to
overkill on controlling heat - regardless of what the "experts" told me.
With just two modifications to our Ford Van E-250, I was certain the book's
tow limit was no longer applicable, particularly if I didn't try to horse
the trailer and if I would tolerate (be comfortable) with climbing steep
grades at a slower speed.

What modifications did I make 20 years ago? I filled the radiator space with
the biggest transmission oil cooler that would fit. Next, I swapped out the
standard 3 core radiator for one with 5 cores (ambulance vans have 4 cores).
I still recall the dozens of doubting Thomas RV Shade Tree Mechanics telling
me I'd ruin the engine and transmission with so much cooling capacity.  THAT
WAS NEARLY 300,000 MILES AGO.  Last Winter, our Ford Van (460 CID V-8 w/C6
transmission) towed our '77 31' through out the southwest (15,000 miles).

-----------------
> What's your thoughts on the tradeoffs?

Jim - in your case, I'd say the tradeoffs will be worth it. If we were in
your shoes with OUR Ford E-250 Van, we'd snatch up a mint 30' Avion in a
minute (or perhaps a mint 25' Avion).

Over the years, we've heard of a feature that needs to be looked at closely
when considering an Avion. As you know, they don't have the dura-torque
running gear.  Our friends had many problems with the running gear on their
Avion until they found out it needed to be thoroughly upgraded to cope with
the increased weight. Once they did that (I don't recall what was done),
everything was fine.

Hope this helps,
Terry