Re: [A/S] Re: size of trailers

Terry,
 It isn't just backing, but manuevering in general that can be a
problem. However, I think the tradeoffs might well be worth it.

Regarding heat: the Dodge w/Cummins is pretty competent in that regard.
There's a big radiator and 2 transmission coolers (oil -> water and oil
-> air). The proof is in the eating, of course: we've seen ZERO signs of
anything getting even close to hot after 12 or 14 thousand miles of
towing. The transmission temp has never exceeded 170 degrees, and only
got that warm while doing tight manuevering, and the water temperature
has never exceeded 190 degrees.

When I overhauled my tranny, I installed a "shift kit" that increases
the line pressure and speeds (firms) up the shifts. Although not harsh,
you certainly know when it shifts, and there is NO slippage. The fella I
bough the parts from tells me that my tranny is good for 300 HP and I'm
feeding it only 160 HP.

You're right about the Avion suspension being "different". The fella at
Cayo service (who works on the older Avions) claims that it's the best
thing ever put under any trailer, bar none. But, I have heard that
if/when it fails, it's a problem. Dunno the details, as ours hasn't
failed. :-)

                                          <<Jim>>