[A/S] towing/transmission/which gear??

just towed home my 64 H-24 avion, 24', 3000# -- i tow with a 6.2
diesel van, with a 700R4 transmission(a 4-spd automatic) -- at the
6.2 diesel site i've read advice to not tow in 4th gear, but to use
third(like 3rd in a 350 tranny) -- most of the 800 mile trip i did
that, but it finally drove me up the wall, so for the last part i put
it in 4th, except going up hills, and the van pulled this light
trailer no problem -- my question is, do other airstream(or avion)
owners pull trailers this size in 4th gear -- perhaps the advice to
tow in 3rd need not apply to this aerodynamic and light trailer?? --
i hope so, cause it got 20 mpg in 4th -- thanks, bob adams