[A/S] Re: towing/transmission/which gear??

HI Bob,
I can't speak to the specific question on your 700R4 transmission,
but I can speak to the larger issue of to use/not to
use "overdrive".  We have a C6 transmission (3 speed) with a
GearVenders "splitter" behind. The splitter will give the 4:11 rear a
final ratio of 2:56.  We have a '66 Trade Wind, usually about 5500 lbs
(give or take).  We use "overdrive" most times, except for a very
steep/long upgrade, or down grade(engine braking). The average milage
difference(driving mostly in the Sierra Nevada's): with-
out "overdrive" is 11 MPG...  with "overdrive" is 18MPG and once with
a tail wind of 19MPG.
I guess you just have'ta figure out what the rig "likes" to do.  Our
gasoline engine(429ci)"likes" 2600 rpm(almost middle of the torque
curve), and doesn't struggle doing most things at that rpm. At
2600rpm, I'm cruising at 58mph and the MPG and noise are very
comfortable.  Yes... I have guages (looks like an airplane cockpit...
I also fly) to help monitor the situation.
Hope this helps.
Bob  :)
Reno    '66 Trade Wind    '72   F-250