Re: [A/S] Generators

I'm getting a new 34' soon -- it's in and modifications are being made right
now.  One option I seriously considered was a generator.  Sometimes I just
can't stand the heat and want AC.

I'm getting a diesel pickup, so first I considered a diesel generator.  Some
folks advised me that the fumes from these is the strongest.  The propane
generator can run a tank out in short order (I crank the air to 68 or even
65 which means the thing is running full out non stop.  Most advice led me
to consider a gasoline generator.  Can even carry extra fuel in approved
containers.

Installation was going to be in the space under the front seat of the
dinette -- special insulation and mounting guaranteed to be more quiet than
the air conditioner (inside the trailer) and pretty quiet outside (sound
radiating down absorbed by the ground -- don't know about pavement however).
One loses the storage space of the drawer and the little shoe cubbyhole to
do this.  Top of the line generator installed adds about $6000 to price of
trailer.  Finally decided to wait a year and see how I manage without a
generator.  Can always add it later.   Also, Airstreams do have excellent
cross ventilation and there are two fantastic fans.

New airstream trailers don't even offer generators as a factory option any
more.  Can-Am dealer says they don't install many either.

Still, it sounds like a nice idea to be able to hit a switch in the pickup
45 minutes before you want to stop for a mid day break and go back for a
meal and a snooze in a frosty airstream.

all persuasions -- no violence,

                               george

mail to: georgedaneri@msn.com