[A/S] Durango (was: Grand Cherokee and Safari)

I tow all sorts of things, up to and including a 24' flatbed tandem-axle
flatbed vehicle/heavy equipment trailer, with a '99 Durango (with the 5.2L
V8).

More important than the engine power, IMHO, is the rear axle rating, and the
factory tow-package. While the additional power of the 5.2L is useful, the
lower gearing (higher number) of the rear axle is probably more important.
Transmission oil cooling, the pre-wired trailer hitch, and factory receiver
are also important, vis-a-vis warranty issues. Another important
consideration is the somewhat shorter wheelbase of an SUV, as compared to
that of a full-sized truck. The shorter wheelbase probably limits one to a
25' or shorter trailer.

Although I haven't experienced the Hensley Arrow, my guess is that it should
be absolutely required for the largest travel trailers, and highly
desireable for modern 'loaded' midsize trailers. Might be 'overkill' for a
lightweight Bambi or the smaller, lighter vintage units. I use an
EZ-lift/Reese style dual cam load-leveling hitch with a friction bar sway
control. The friction bar sway control affords a certain amount of peace of
mind on long hauls, but takes some trial-and-error work to get it just right
under different loads. and, i don't always remember to disconnect it when
backing and maneuvering in tight spaces.

Tuna
'49 Trailwind
WBCCI#8862/VAC
Reno, NV