Re: [A/S] Underbelly Water Update/& A Refrigerator Tip

Jim,
Supposedly the purpose of the foam gasket on both sides of the fridge
is to make that seal.  As I told A/S while the theory is good the
gasket they used on my trailer was not wide enough to address the
irregularities of construction.  Where it was tight against the side
wall and fridge at the bottom, the walls of the enclosure that
surrounded the fridge were wider at the top.  So wide that the gasket
needed to be double the width so seal the opening.  He suggested that
I tell the dealer to double the gasket in the areas where the single
gasket was insufficient.  He also noted that the fridge had to be
removed to properly apply this self stick gasket to the fridge sides.
My problem is that the self adhesive on the gasket was poor or the
metal sides of the fridge had a substance that prevented good
adhesion.

Personally I wouldn't want to use the self expanding foam since I
don't know what kind of grip it would place on the fridge.  I surely
would not want to impact future removal if a problem occurred.

I'm not quite sure either how well the suggested A/S solution will
work since sliding of the fridge back in may cause the gasket to
become dislodged.  I'm wondering whether a properly cut piece of foam
might work as well.  It probably has enough stiffness to allow you to
feed it in through the outside access hatch and enough strength to
stay in place (assuming you cut it wide enough to exert some force
between the fridge wall and the surround wall.

Another thought would be the use of water pipe insulation tube (you
know the black foam round tubes you can wrap around plumbing to
conserve heat on hot water lines?  A large enough diameter piece would
wedge in pretty good and again could be fed through the outside access
door.

Jack