Re: [A/S] Freon and Door Grip

John,

The handle may be chrome plated pot metal.  If so, I have been told that
rechroming is a challenge and the results may not be worth the cost.
Someone who knows far more about metals and chrome plating may correct me or
have a better suggestion.

I can tell you how I did it, not necessarily the way a professional would do
it.  I think you'll have to remove the pressed-in aluminum trim strip around
the inside perimeter of the door.  It is a trim molding that conceals the
door edge of the inner skin.   Then make two parallel cuts about one inch
wide from the edge of the inner skin next to the door back about two inches
or long enough to reach behind the point where the handle is attached
creating a narrow strip of inner skin that can be folded back away from the
door frame to expose the nuts holding the door handle in place.   You'll
have to make these cuts behind the top as well as behind the bottom mounting
point of the handle.  An alternative would be to drill a hole largest enough
to allow a socket, probably a 1/2", over the point where you calculate the
bolts and nuts to be.  Then you can access the nuts to remove them and
remove the handle.

I can't tell you how to repair or hide the cuts you made in the inner skin.
My daughter and I did the same thing on her '71 27' to gain access to the
door mounting hinge on the opposite side of the door.  Her door hinge was so
badly worn the door was actually loose on the hinge and sagged so badly it
wouldn't latch.  We found a good serviceable used hinge and asked a shop
mechanic at Airstream how to do it.

Good luck.

Harvey