Re: [A/S] Drawtite brake controller

Tricia & Conrad,

I used a Drawtite brake controller for a year in 1994 to tow a tandem axle
31' A/S.  I replaced it with a Tekonsha when I traded for a triple axle A/S.
The Drawtite was a simple, ramp-type, NOT A PENDULUM-TYPE controller.  It
was a good controller and performed satisfactorily.

I strongly recommend against purchasing a Tekonsha pendulum style controller
because, at least with a larger, heavier trailer, they perform erratically,
require perpetual adjustment/readjustment, and are incapable of providing
proportional braking to match the driver's input to the towing vehicle
brakes.  A Tekonsha ramp type, non-pendulum controller will provide
satisfactory trailer braking.

The limitation of a ramp circuit controller is that the controller is
activated when you apply the service brakes in your tow vehicle.  The
electronic circuitry is designed to "ramp up" or increase the amount of
trailer brakes at a designed rate over a given length of time regardless of
the degree of braking the driver desires.  If you wish to brake very gently
to bring truck and trailer to a slow, gentle stop, the trailer brakes will
continue to increase until trailer braking is harder than desired by the
driver.  Conversely, if the driver calls for hard braking for a fast stop,
trailer braking will lag truck brakes placing most of the load on the towing
vehicle.

I recently removed my Tekonsha pendulum controller in frustration.  Tekonsha
gave me a free replacement once and gave me good technical advice about
insuring adequate sized wire for the controller's ground return line later.
Unfortunately, the company's excellent attitude would not overcome their
poorly designed product.

My very strong preference is for the old-style Kelsey-Hayes
hydraulic-electric controllers which can, in spite of what most RV dealers
and RV service centers will tell you, be used with late model ABS equipped
towing vehicles.  Chevrolet(GMC) truck brochures including 2001 provide that
hydraulic-electric brake controllers can be used as long as they do not
displace more than a specified minimum volume of brake fluid.  The K-H
controller falls well within the manufacturer's specs.  Unfortunately,
mis-information and fear of product liability lawsuits killed the best brake
controller ever manufactured and they are now very difficult to locate.

My advice would be to purchase the least expensive, ramp type controller of
Drawtite, Kelsey, or Tekonsha brand unless you want to go through the
challenge of finding a new/old Kelsey-Hayes controller.

Harvey Barlow
Lubbock, TX
WBCCI # 1171, WDCU, VAC