Re: [A/S] First trip of the year

John,
I am in the Washington D.C. area and don't get very far away when I do get
to travel. There is a lot to do and see in Washington but not a lot of great
camp grounds close to town. Maryland and Virginia state parks are usually
very nice if you want that "away from it all" feeling. In Maryland I often
go Greenbrier State park, it is not what you would call a destination,
rather a nice place to stop on route. It is a little far out from D.C. for a
day trip but It could be done. Deep Creek Lake is a big draw in western Md.
There is a state park and a number of private camp grounds in the area.
It is a place where reservations are a must. In Virginia I have stayed at
Westmoreland state park, it is out of the way on the Potomac River south of
Washington. It is a reasonable drive to D.C. The area is full of history. If
you want to do everything at once go to the Virginia Beach, Busch
Gardens,Historic Williamsburg area. All three are close together, if you
park near one you can reach them all. The area is loaded with campgrounds
including KOA's, Travelpark, and a lot of privately owned operations. Do
take all your money with you, I have seen prices in excess of  $40 a night
in the off season. From Va. Beach you can take the Bay Bridge Tunnel (17
mile wonder of the world) to get to the Md. beaches.

Frank Streeks