Re: [A/S] Re: Chevy Transmissions for Towing -Continuing the Discussion

Joy,
 You're right, the transmission pan in an automatic holds only about 1/3
of the total capacity of the fluid. In some of them, you can loosen the
valve body and get more out, but the TC will still hold a bunch of oil.

Now, about "cheap vs. a pro": One of the reasons I do much of my own
work is because it's so darn hard finding a competent "pro". I took my
Dodge to a local garage to have the tranny R&R'd so I could overhaul it
myself. The mechanic there used to work at a local Dodge dealer and told
me of a fellow mechanic at that dealership who would R&R AND "overhaul"
THREE transmissions from a particular FWD model in a single day. I flat
told him that I didn't believe it, but he was pretty adamant about this
guy's performance. Now, from my (admittedly limited) experience with
automatic transmissions, I find it impossible to believe that he could
have been doing a decent job of it. MAYBE doing the 3 R&R's or 3
overhauls, but not both operations. My buddy & I spent the better part
of 3 days doing the tranny in the truck, and I'd say that someone who
does it all the time could do it in 1/3 the time and do a good job. We
spent some time making special tools and reading the manual that he
wouldn't have to, but it still takes time to clean all the parts, open
the overhaul kit, etc.

I'll also admit that now that I have 'er back together, there's a
problem that may well require pulling the tranny out again. That's the
price I pay for education, but when I get done, I'll know exactly what I
have under the floorboards, won't I?

You weren't on the Lists when a Vintage owner took his AirStream to a
local RV place to have the "pros" repack the wheel bearings. It was
kinda hard to ascertain for certain what the "pro" did wrong, but it
sounded like he assembled the bearings inside-out. At any rate, the
trailer didn't go 10 miles before it had a very obvious problem. So much
for "the pros".

                                          <<Jim>>