[A/S] Automatic Transmission Fluid Changes

A '91 Ford I previously owned, equipped with the E4OD transmission, had a
very handy pipe plug installed in the torque converter behind a removable
cover on the bottom of the bell housing.  I also installed a drain plug in
the pan and between removing the torque converter plug and the pan plug, it
was relatively easy to drain all but a small quantity of fluid.

My '94 Ford came factory equipped with a pipe plug in the original
transmission and I installed a pan plug in it also.  But when the original
transmission developed torque converter chatter while towing my 34' A/S in
the mountains at 103,000 miles I replaced the transmission with a Ford
factory rebuilt transmission to get the later modifications and
improvements.  Unfortunately, the replacement transmission does not have a
hole drilled in the torque converter or a pipe plug.

I have thought of drilling and tapping a hole in the torque converter while
it is still filled with fluid with the thought that any metal shavings that
inadvertently ended up in the torque converter would be flushed back out
through the just-drilled hole.  The hundreds of tiny orifices and passages
in the transmission valve body would not take kindly to remaining metal
shavings that found their way into the transmission!!

Anyone have any experience or opinions about such a risky maneuver?

Harvey Barlow
Lubbock, TX
WBCCI # 1171, WDCU, VAC