Re: [A/S] Suburbans vs conversion vans

I have been pulling my 22' long 66 Safari with a Ford High Top conversion
E-150 with a 351 cubic inch Windsor V-8.  I would prefer to have a
conversion based on the one ton E-350 especially if I were towing a larger
coach.  The 351 engine is adequate but it's raw power is weakened by smog
pump and catalytic convertor.

I would recommend a larger engine or a diesel power plant, but my rig is
adequate.  The beauty of a conversion van is that you can stow a lot of
toys.  You can also take it for "satellite camping" while your Airstream is
staked out in a secure spot.

I spent many a night camped right on the beach because I had the camper van.
The high profile of the conversion campers gives a "slip stream" which
makes pulling the coach at high speed very easy.  The weight of the
conversion puller is ideal when pulling the trailer.

Everything has to do with affordability.
Bob