[A/S] Shock stud mounts

OK, purveyors of the antiques:
In an effort to put new shocks on my old ride, I ran into an interesting
problem. The old (original '67's!!) came off easily enough from the top
mounts because the rubber had dissolved into a powder, and I was able to
slip the shaft out from the mount and the frame, but how do I get the
new ones in?? I don't want to pull the rubber mounts out; they wouldbe a
bear to get back in; the mounts (the ones on the axle) look like they
were welded on by the factory, so short of cutting them off and
installing new studs....??
Trying to pry the plate and the frame apart enough to slip the new ring
in does not work, either, so..am I drilling and filling? Anybody come
across this yet? Thanks, Rick