Re: [A/S] Now Rebuilding old Airstreams

Hi All,

The following is just some thoughts that came to mind as I read about
Airstream's announcement, if it's factual.

I'm new to A/S restoration and I feel saddened by the action of Airstream to
enter the restoration business.  It could signal that new units are not
selling fast enough to keep employees active.  It might well put the many
small restorers out of business because they couldn't compete with the
corporate giant.  The availability of restorable units will sharply decrease
as Airstream snaps up all the units they can for inventory.  Which means, as
a recent enthusiast, my options will be limited to very expensive restorable
units.  Seems like this will discourage many from attempting restoration of
Airstreams.  I can see restorable units doubling and tripleing in price.  In
the long run, it will diminish the hobby.  Guess some would think this a
good thing.

However, if Airstream engaged in manufacture and stocking of replacement
parts as a major part of their activity and sold to restorers, I might think
that part of their new activity would be OK.

Seems like the cons are far out in the lead over the pros as far as I'm
concerned.

                                                    Joy