Re: [A/S] Re: transmissions & towing

Here's an only slightly related story: I was coming down I-70 to Denver on
Thursday coming back from skiing, and saw in the other westbound lane, a rig
towing a large A/S, which was badly smoking. I first thought it was brake smoke,
as it was on a downhill stretch( yes, going up into the mtns), but still moving.
As I later got into the smoke, I could smell it was oil.  I have no idea what
make or model truck it was, but it was in trouble.  I don't imagine it could
have kept going too far by what I saw. It was not a pretty site to see. I've
been up this hilll many times, and it's a killer of any vehicle not capable. I
have just gotten used to the idea of taking it slow, whether it was my (then) VW
bus, or dragging the Safari behind the F-150 now.. Wish I could have helped, but
was not able to exit &  turn around under the circumstances.
Jere Potter, Ft Collins, CO.