Re: [A/S] Re: transmissions & towing

I have been reading the transmissions posts with mutch intrest i realise you
are talking about auto trans.I have a 92 Dodge with a Cummins diesel with a 5
speed manual trans. on a leavel road while crusing with the cruse control set
at 48mph I heard a "clunk" it jumped out of gear and than there was nothing.
no forward no reverse. I have driven standard transmitions for 60 years and
have abused some of tham shamesly and never broken one.My brother had a dodge
that was the twim to mine and halled a 17500lb 5th wheel trailer and had 130k
miles on the truck when he sold it. Never had a provlem. he said the Dodge
dealer would not sell him an auto trans when he told him the purpose for
whitch he was buying it.
I have been told that the manual trans. on the dodge are strickly junk and to
eather get rid of it or never tow the trailer again. The Tradewind weighs
less than 5000lb. should not be a load for the truck. would appricate any
input on this.
Jim Smith