[A/S] Re: New Truck Opinions solicited

Jerry,

First let me be somewhat of a contrarian. Do you need a diesel? Your
a/s which is identical to mine will probably weigh in at under 6,000
loaded with a 6800# GVWR. I pull mine with a 5.0L V8 Explorer
(factory tow rating 6,800) and Hensley (to combat the short wheelbase
related sway issue). ANY of the Ford vehicles w/ V8 and appropriate
rear end and towing package are factory rated to pull that weight.
The F150 with 5.4L V8 and 3.55 gears is rated for 7,900# and the 3.73
gears takes it to 8,700. I'm sure that specs for the Dodge and Chevy
trucks are similar. The tow ratings for the PSD and the Cummins are
over 13,000#. Unless you plan on doing most of your towing in the
Rockies where gas engines lose power as altitude increases, the cost
for the Cummins or Powerstroke is similar to buying a four wheel
drive for a commuter vehicle in Dallas, i.e. an expensive and seldom
used feature.These trailers have been pulled with gas engines for
many years before the advent of the diesels and higher discretionary
income for the middle class.

On another point, I have looked at the NADA trade in values for Dodge
and Ford trucks and find them to be comparable year to year back to
about '95. However in looking at both of the major local newspaper
classifieds there are many more used Ford diesel trucks available by
at least a 4 or 5:1 margin back to about the '95 models. It may be
that there were just more Fords sold in those years or it could be
that Dodge owners tend to buy and hold. While NADA values are
comparable for those years, the classifieds reveal that asking prices
for the Cummins Dodge are typically higher than for comparable year
Powerstoke Fords, in the Dallas Ft. Worth area anyway.

John H.