[A/S] Re: What size ?-was Courtesy Parking

Orin and Lois
We have a 23' 1978 Safari and are very satisfied with one exception.
In the older Airstreams, the shorter units were as far as I can tell
all convertable sleeping arrangements.  This eventually ends up with
two complaints..
1.  Going to bed means turning the sofa or the dinette into a bed...
fine for the overnight camper, but PITA after a few days...
2.  The bed you end up with is not the same as a real bed.. With our
couch the wall side is a bit low and the inside person feels like
they are going down between the wall and the couch.. (I can probably
fix that)  After a day or two, If I am not dead tired, I can't sleep
more than a few hours and then moving to the one chair.  The cushions
are not the right consistancy to get through the night without a sore
spot somewhere...usually I can survive any motel bed, soft or
hard..something about the sofa cushion gets to me...

Apparently this was a common complaint, because the newer units can
all be had with a permanent bed.  At least all the 20+ foot units
that I have seen are some kind of permantnt sleeper...

Thirty five years ago we had a 26' unit with a permanent bed
arrangement and I don't remember any problem sleeping ...of course a
lot of things were easier then....

Good luck..

Jim