Re: [A/S] Re: Dodge diesel with standard transmition.

Well, I have been overwhelmed with work for the last month or so, but I
will take the time to put in my 2 cents here.  I have been driving my van
(Ford E150) for 17 years (since it was new) and I still have the original
transmission.  I have never hauled an RV, but I have hauled horse trailers
and other times (quite a bit -- at least once every other month) I have
gone to festivals and have had it loaded from top to bottom and front to
back with wood and steel.....a heavy load, at any rate.
    So then, my 2 cents:  When I am in hilly country, I drive in "Drive".
When I am on the flats, I put it up into "Overdrive".    I bring it down
to "Drive" again when I am in town or otherwise going less than 55.  I
don't know if this has anything to do with anything, it's just the way
I've done it.  When the van was new, I was told not to haul heavy loads up
hill (or down -- hard on the brakes) in Overdrive.   I have gotten into
such a habit, I drive  it the same way when it is empty also.
    I always thought that all Overdrive was was an extra gear.......like a
"5th" gear, in otherwords (or a 6th gear?  LOL )    When I am going at
high speeds with a load in the van, and I shift it into Overdrive, I can
feel the "relief" under me like the van doesn't have to work as hard.
Maybe it is my imagination.   I have been known to have a big
imagination!  LOL   It is sort of the same feeling I get when my horse
falls into a lope from a trot.  oh, well.....    :-)
Kerry