Re: [A/S] Tow vehicle?

Hi John -

We used to pull our 1966 Overlander with a 1997 4.6L Expedition 4x4 with 17"
wheels...it was tow rated at 5500#...remember that number also includes
passenger weight (in my case, not an inconsiderable amount) and any
passenger items inside the vehicle...

It was o.k., but felt slightly underpowered for a fully-loaded 26' trailer.
It regularly downshifted on even the mildest grades.   I estimated the load
at 5000 lbs...the "book" weight of the trailer is 4250# with empty
tanks...we tow primarily here in the midwest where things are fairly
flat...i'm sure if we had used this combination out west we would have been
much less satisfied.

If I were you, I would not go with the 4.6L...just not quite up to the task.

If we had gotten another Expedition, we would have definitely opted for the
5.4L...however we decided to get a Dodge Durango instead.  The wheelbase is
within a couple of inches of the Expedition, center of gravity is
considerably lower, tow rating of our 5.9L w/3.92 is 7350#...and mileage is
2-3 mpg better...we are far happier with the Durango all the way around.

Good luck in your search...

Tom
--
Tom & Jan Greenberg, West Bloomfield, MI
'66 26' Overlander & Hensley Hitch