[A/S] Tow vehicle?

John,

1 - The chances of being unhappy with an underpowered tow vehicle are profoundly greater than with a
fully powered tow vehicle. Using empty weight to make decisions is like whistling in the dark. You
may be shocked at the weight after you've packed and repacked and used the trailer a few months or
years.

2 - Take a look at Tom Patterson's website. The database can be searched by topic. Rattle Tom's cage
if you end up stumbling around and getting nowhere. Reviewing his data base is one of the fastest
ways to climb the learning curve, get your head up to speed and make a decent decision.

3 - Your efforts so far - show you have good investigative skills. Use all of them and at all costs,
avoid buying anything until you have beat the question to death with a long stick. Too many folks
hook into the buying process before they realize their current level of knowledge isn't sufficient
for the kind of solid decision they'll be happy with two years down the road.

4 - Having said all that.

Our '67 22' Airstream is towed by a '75 Mercury Station Wagon with the V8 460 CID, factory trailer
towing package, supplemental transmission cooling and beefier tires than standard. Result: We go
anywhere, anytime with all the comforts that bring a smile to my wife's face and the comment from
her lips, "I like traveling with the Airstream." AND - there's no undue strain on any of the
mechanical components which means fewer breakdowns or inconveniences during our trips. It easily
conquers Raton Pass at 60 mph in the heat of summertime, with the a/c blowing snowflakes and the
temperature gauge still on N in the word NORMAL. That stretch of highway at the New Mexico/Colorado
border on I-25 is one of several good markers for judging the capability of a tow vehicle.

The same '67 22' Airstream has been towed by a '86 GMC Suburban 1500 with the 6.2L diesel, factory
trailer towing package and supplemental transmission cooling. Result: Ho Hum!! If it wasn't such a
handsome, blemish free, no rust truck; if it wasn't such fun to drive solo; if it wasn't such an
easy truck to keep maintained; if Sandie didn't find the seat cushions so comfortable; if, if -
then, I'd sell it. As a tow vehicle, it does the job, but it's grunting all the time when we're west
of the Mississippi. East of the Mississippi, the only vehicle it can pass while towing the Airstream
is an Amish horse and buggy.

5 - Bottom line. Only you can determine what level of power and capability will be satisfactory for
you, given the kind and amount of towing you intend to do. My opinions are only that - mine. Other
VAC members have different opinions. Take what you find useful from all of us, but the only opinion
that counts when it comes to parting with your money is your opinion.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net

PS - We're only 2 months into our 11th year of traveling the continent for 9 months with our '78
Ford Van. For 23 years, I've listened to "experts" warn me of dire consequences because of the
extreme cooling capacity I added to it.

'78 Ford Van, E250, 8700#, V8 460 CID, 3.31 axle, C6 automatic, biggest transmission oil cooler that
fit in front of my 5 core radiator, 16.5 wheels with G159 Goodyears, almost 300,000 miles on
original engine (90% of those were towing an 8500# Airstream).

'77 31' Excella 500, 8500#, side couch, rear bath, 40# propane bottles, 3 solar panels, 3 batteries.