Re: [A/S] More on towing

I suspect that gear-looking thing is really still a gear driving a
rotating sensor. That's what is in my Ford, though Ford uses the
standard speedometer gear on the end of the sensor. So I'd think you'd
change the gear-looking thing, e.g. number of teeth to correct for
changing the axle gears. Surely GM has reference material on the topic
so a good parts man can supply the right parts for most any drive train
and tire size. I know Ford has such a book. Ford gears were under $10 or
12 each. Saleen was more expensive, but had more teeth. Another place
that my first gear came from (near Atlanta) was cheaper than Saleen, but
in stock and then shipping brought its price up to match Saleen.

I don't plan to swap gears regularly, so I was happy to pay for the job
being done. And this shop volunteers to swap the gears again if these
don't get quiet. The fat aluminum drive shaft acts as a resonator around
40 mph to make it whine there, but its a lot less after 6000 miles and
under load or at speeds under 30 or over 50. I need to paint that drive
shaft with rubber undercoat spray to damp that resonance.

I've seen comment on a Ford list or discussion page that different
vendors of 4.10 gears wear in quieter faster or slower.

Gerald J.