[A/S] Chev and Fords

I've been watching this one before putting in my piece.  I was afraid of
opinions versus facts.   I liked the comments about the Chevs and rust and
seats, as they obviously came from experience.

Personally I like the Chevs.  Especially the Suburbans.  Starting in '96
they have a 290 HP  7.4 L (supposedly rear wheel HP) engine aka 545 cc.  It
comes only on the C/K2500 which is a 3/4 ton unit.  There are 2 rear axle
options, 3.?? And the 4.10.   The book claims a towing capacity of 10,000
lbs with the 4.10 gears, with the 2 wheel drive unit.  (I think it is 9,500
with the 4 X unit)  Hummm.  Personally, I wouldn't use the 1500, (1/2 ton)
just for the smaller brakes, and smaller engine.

Ford has some really neat options if you get into the truck line especially
the 450 and 550 models.  Hit a Ford dealer and just pick up the 'Commercial
vehicle' book.  I don't like the interior of the Excursions.  To me, they
seemed really cheap.  Especially the plastic all over the dash.

I know more about Arizona and California rules than other states, but for
those of you monitoring your check book and gas mileage, and passing power,
check this out.  You can get a (Chev, maybe Ford) dealership conversion to
natural gas.  It costs around $8,000.  There is a switch on the dash so you
can switch back to unleaded fuel, anytime you want.  The advantages are as
follows:
1)	you qualify for a $7,000 alternate fuel tax break for 4 years.  4 x
7,000 =  28,000.   That alone for me is worth it. (Current rules)  This is
slowly going away as more people are catching on.
2)	You get out of state emissions testing.
3)	You can do this 6 times.  So you could possibly, get a new vehicle
every 4 years or so.
4)	You don't pay road use tax, with the alt. fuel.  In my state of
Washington, that is about 47 cents per gallon, currently.   What an easy way
to cut your fuel bill by 25 + %, instantly.

And last, for the guy whose wife likes the Fords just because..............
Haven't you learned by now, that if you want any peace in your towing life,
you gotta get what she likes or else......

I'm open to comments...

Kimm