Re: [A/S] Another A/S dealer drops out

Does anyone know if the dealers are getting
squeezed on pricing or if there is some other business practice on
the part of Jackson Center that is causing this to happen. Does anyone have
any inside info about this?

RESPONSE: I am not sure about growing trends, but after having spent the last
3.5 years full timing with a new Excella Classic TT, I feel I have some
perspective on the profitability of some Airstream dealers. My first year of
travel, the only Alaska Airstream dealer backed out of a relationship with
Airstream but continued with their other lines of trailers and motor homes.

Soon after, the largest northwest based dealer went bankrupt, having focused
primarily on Airstream as their main line. Their poor business practices were
probably more the cause of the bankruptcy than Airstream, but they still went
bankrupt.

In Minnesota, the biggest and most well known A/S dealer has only one new A/S
trailer on their lot, marginal technical experience with repairing A/S. They
focus mainly on the motor homes.

IN Arizona, a twenty year sales and service group, which focuses solely on
Airstream, does reasonably well but has a very tough time keeping experienced
Airstream people. What does one do if one loses their " main Airstream
technician?" The quality of their Airstream specific repairs is weak, at best.

Having dealt with the main A/S dealer in central CA, I have nothing good to
say about their repair, and know nothing about their sales efforts.

Here in New York, the only New York City "area "Airstream dealer, even with 4
big New York Times articles in the last few months focusing on Airstream
quality and reliability, is saying the following:

Bambi is WAY overpriced, and people in the target market just gasp when they
hear the price--then they walk.
Excella is well built still, but feeling like the fifth wheel craze is
reducing its market by a large margin.
Land Yacht is well built, but has none of the streamlined/best in its market
distinctions that the trailers had/have. The landyacht is a good motor home
in a huge market, with nothing special about it other than a few nice design
distinctions.

I hope this does not offend anyone. It is my opinion, based on my experiences.

So, squeezed is a good word for why many Airstream dealers are backing away.

Robert
1997 Excella Classic