Re: [A/S] Re: Rollover in SUVs, pickups and Suburbans

I'll second this sediment. I've always been more worried about jackknifing while
towing rather than rolling over. If I can escape a serious accident by heading
for ditch, that's the way I've gone. In a jackknife situation, it doesn't always
come on suddenly, but once it starts, there's not to much hope of correcting
things without a bit of room to do it in. I would much rather rollover into a
ditch than get into some pileup on the road where there's potential for others
to run into me.

I've gone into the ditch in a couple of cars, a truck, and a motorcycle (rode
right back out onto the road  around an accident without stopping with the
motorcycle). I haven't had the misfortune to roll over yet, or go into the ditch
with a trailer.

I would vote for the practice route also. Although I would suggest not pushing
the limits right away. I've had student drivers (I was a Jeep Driving instructor
in the military for a time) try to maneuver too extremely during practice runs
only to get into a bad situation themselves. There are more stories on this
topic if anyone is interested.

I would also suggest that some thought be given to the dimensions of the rig you
are driving by practicing maneuvering on a surface that will leave tracks of the
vehicles. This will allow you to see the turning circles and limits of the tow
rig and trailer.

bobb