Re: [A/S] Mexico: what you need

Recent studies have shown that children who are exposed to bacteria at an
early age are more resistant than those who are sheltered.  In my
experience the same applies to adults.  If we venture out and gradually
acclimate our systems to foreign bacteria over our lifetime we become more
resistive.  After 2 round the world bicycle trips and plenty of adventure
travel I lived for months last year in an RV in Puerta Vallarta and drove
through Mexico eating and drinking with no particular caution and did not
catch Montezuma's revenge.

One thing to keep in
>mind when you eat out is that the veggies are often washed in tap water
>and not filtered water. Be wary. Friends of mine went South for a golf
>vacation and only ate at a first class hotel/resort and she got sick and
>stayed sick for six weeks. Ice cubes are supposed to be filtered water but
>you don't
>know how often they change the filter. Our rule of thumb was 1. no ice  2.
>fresh veggies only when we washed them. (there are some new veggie wash
>solutions available today, use one of them)

Pretty soon we will only be able to eat food that has been washed with
these special disinfectant rinses.  Our systems will be so specialized that
even minor bacteria might do us in.

What do others feel about this strategy of building "immunity" through
experience.