Re: [A/S] New A/S newbie questions

Kerry,
The axle ratio is all-important. Many/most 1/2-ton trucks are built
with high-gear (low numerical ratio) rear axles, some are 3.05 or even
2.73. You will be VERY unhappy with such a setup!

If the axle ratio is 3.54, you'll find it 'maybe OK', depending on the
transmission. A 3.73 ratio is better, and a 4.10 should tow very well.
The tradeoff, of course, is somewhat poorer mileage, especially when
running solo (it might actually be better when towing), and it'll be a
bit noisier.

One of the biggest factors is cooling, as Terry pointed out. You'll want
to get a large transmission cooler and a very large radiator. The
deciding factor for me to abandon my Dodge 1/2-ton in favor of a 3/4-ton
truck was the inability to get a larger radiator. The truck was fine
with the 4000# G.T., but I felt it was marginal with a 6000# trailer
behind it. Rather than fool with it further (I'd already added the
most-expensive trans cooler that NAPA had), I bit the bullet and bought
the bigger Dodge.

Anybody want a real good, low mileage '94 Dodge 1/2-ton truck? <<grin>>
(seriously, if you're interested, contact me off-list. Pics are
available at my WebSite under both 'Airstream' and 'Avion'; I'm asking
$10,700.00)

                                              <<Jim>>