Re: [A/S] New A/S newbie questions

Hi Kerry,

In a recent note, you asked about towing a 19' Globe Trotter with a Ford Van 1/2 ton Van. If you
said which engine, I missed reading that part of your posting while speed reading. In my opinion, a
350 CID will handle a 19' or smaller -- acceptably, but not enthusiastically. Nevertheless, here's a
piece of living history. We are towing our '77 31' with our 1978 Van today and expect it to continue
being a reliable and dependable vehicle for the next 8 months straight.

Twenty years ago, I installed the biggest transmission cooler on it that would fit in the space
available. Because I had been towing small travel trailers for nearly 20 years before that, I
removed the 10,000 # transmission cooler and replaced it with a 40,000 # cooler. I put in a 150
degree thermostat and replaced the radiator with a 5 core (not the 4 core used in ambulances)
instead of the 3 core that came with it from the factory. The static I got from older and wiser
friends (experts) was abundant and inferred in no uncertain terms that I would ruin my transmission,
we'd freeze on cold days and they laughed up their sleeves at my folly.

None of the "nay sayers" still own their trucks, but have replaced them three and four times over
while we still have the same 1978 E250 with 460 CID and automatic transmission. This truck has towed
our 1977 31' or its' brother, a 1986 32' Airstream throughout all the provinces in Canada, all the
states in USA and 2/3s of the states in Mexico. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as my
grandmother used to say.

You said you were from New Mexico. That means you are familiar with Raton Pass. Several years ago,
we pulled that pass on a hot summer day, kept up with truck traffic all the way, had the air
conditioner going full bore, and the temperature gauge never once went above the letter "O" in the
word Normal. In my humble opinion, having a truck that can loaf along under the most severe
conditions I can put it under - was one of my smartest decisions.

If there is one caveat I could recommend, it's to do all you can to keep your cool. Your truck will
love you and serve you well. Of course, you have to do the oil and filter changes every 3-4,000
miles and keep buying grease cartridges for your grease gun. That and a bunch of other maintenance
details will keep your truck healthy and strong.

Terry
mailto:Tylerbears@airstream.net