Re: [A/S] restoration

Peter,
Do some research before buying any solar stuff. You're right about your
local dealer's proposal, you don't get much for less than $500.00, and
twice that is more realistic. See my URL in my SIG for details on what I
did with both the A/S and the Avion.

You need a pair of golf cart or Group 27 "RV/Marine" batteries to go
along with your solar system.

The "Chrome" LP tanks that you see occassionally are actually aluminum
that's been highly polished. I believe that 30# tanks are the same
diameter as 20#'ers, just taller.

Your stock wheels are probably large enough, but you should consider new
tires if they're more than 5 years old (or if you don't know their age).
Your brakes might be OK, but you'll automatically check them when you
repack the wheel bearings and replace the seals.

Here's an idea for your water supply: get a larger tank for in the P/U
truck (I use a 25-gallon sprayer tank from Northern Tool), and mount a
regular RV pump right at/on the tank. Plumb the output of the pump (with
its builtin pressure switch) to your city water connection. Switch your
internal pump 'on' to use the onboard tank when you're off filling the
tank in the P/U. The pump on the truck can get its power from the
truck's battery, it will use very little.

You'll find that the gray water comes out the same outlet as the black,
but AFTER the dump valve. If you're in an area where you can't dump the
gray water on the ground, you must use a Blue Bomber (tote tank). Yes,
it's a pain, but that's the way it is. If you're careful, you might well
be able to go an entire week on that tiny blackwater tank. Are you sure
it's only 15 gallons? While at a campground, you just leave the trailer
connected to the sewer fitting at the site, letting the gray water drain
as it's generated. You dump the black tank when it gets over 1/2 full.

                                 <<Jim>>