[A/S] Replace the AC

I like the new format of the list.  The quantities of the E-Mails
made it very difficult for me to keep up but now I just go to the
internet and read the messages.  I guess you call me a lurker.

I have a few questions and hope I can get some opinions.

Last week (109 deg heat in Houston) my fan motor in my Coleman Mach 3
Plus A/C went out.  I have been debating on whether to replace the
fan motor ($150 if I do it my self) or if I should go ahead an just
replace the whole unit.  The original A/C is almost 17 years old.

Anyway, has anyone replaced their own A/C?  If I understand it
correctly, the Dometic Penguin is the only unit you can get that
still has the internal drain.  If I order a penguin, do I also need
to order a "Pan" or do all penguin's have a built in pan?

Has anyone tried the new Carrier unit?  I have heard some great
reviews but I understand you can not have the internal drain. I have
also heard that the Carrier does not produce as much condensation so
it might be okay to drain onto the roof.