Re: [A/S] Exhaust brakes

Mike -

When I had the exhaust brake installed they folks at BD also installed
heavy duty valve springs.  I have not heard that engines are damaged by
these brakes.  I have a brother-in-law who is an over the road long
haul trucker and he tells me all  the "bug" truck have exhaust brakes.

I only use the truck and trailer brakes on a descent when my speed is
enough to make me nervous.  This is not often, except in a place like
the approach to Osoyoos where the descent is 7 - 9% for about 10+
miles.  That is a place you learn to love an exhaust brake.

In summary I can see no downside to having an exhaust brake other than
paying for it.  They sure do work which is why they are standard on the
big trucks.  BD says it will cut your brake wear by 500%.  This is an
advertising claim.  It sure does cut brake use, though.  I cannot say
by how much.  If you plan on coming down any mountains you will not
regret installing one.

Are there any regrets about an exhaust brake out there?  Anyone else
want to tell us about their experience?