The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

[a/s] Polishing questions

Bob,

I did some looking into this and reading in the old posts a few months
ago. It seems that what I remember is that the 80+ trailers went to a
brushed finish which makes this harder to accomplish. It was said that
the later 90s now use prefinished panels with the plasticoat already on
them before they are put on the frame. Someone told me that the brush
finish will polish, but not to the mirror shine of the first generation
trailers, and that great care must be used because the later skins can
burn and discolor with polishing much more easily. I would like to know
if all this is correct - without getting Jim Weston involved.

Has anyone seen a later model (1980 or later) Airstream that has been
polished?

John H.