The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

Re: [a/s] Help! Torque nut rating?

Ouch.

After installing new bearings, which we hope are thoroughly packed with grease,
you tighten the axle nuts, while rotating the wheel forward, to some nominal
value (I've read 12 and 25 foot pounds in different places).  That is to squeeze
out excess grease.  Then you back the nut off till there is no tension at all
(you can turn it either direction with your fingers, easily), then turn it down
with fingers only till it just makes contact (no torque at all) and back it off
until you can insert the cotter pin, not more than half a flat.  There are two
cotter pin holes in the shaft, at right angles to each other, and you use the
first one that fits.

The idea is to have NO torque or "bearing preload" but also minimum free play.
You will want to test that by trying to move the wheel after everything is back
together.  You should be able to detect a *very slight* amount of play.

If there is any torque on that nut the bearings will self-destruct quickly.

Check the free play again after a couple of hundred miles.  Readjust as
necessary.

John