Re: [a/s] To tow a vintage Airstream

Frank,

I will jump in here even though I don't have a vintage a/s. The pre 70's
trailers were lighter that the later models. It has been said that as
Suburbans came into style Airstreams began gaining weight. It is
generally agreed that the factors to consider in deciding on a tow
vehicle are:

1. Weight - balanced with the trailer
2. Wheelbase - longer is better
3. Power and gearing - more and lower is better for pulling
			more and higher is better for fuel economy

With that said, there are many opinions on the list about this. I pull a
5,100 lb. dry weight Excella with a 1996 Ford Explorer 5.0L V8 & 3.73
gears w/factory towing package. The Explorer is somewhat light and has a
shorter wheelbase than is completely desirable, but it is rated by Ford
for towing 7,000 lb.. Because of these factors I have added a Hensley
Arrow hitch and the setup works very well. Hunter commented about the
squirreliness of the Explorer at one time, and when we visited on her
way through Texas she named mine 'Rocky', for the squirrel, you know.

When the lighter airstreams were manufactured, most of the cars on the
road were Detroit iron with rigid frames and large V8s. Now the only
large V8s are in trucks and trucks are the only vehicles with rigid
frames. You shouldn't have a problem towing any of the lighter <20 ft.
trailers with an average V6 SUV or half ton truck. Some of the older
lighter trailers were pulled with bumper hitches. When the trailer
becomes heavy enough that you need to use a weight distributing hitch,
that's when you need to start thinking bigger truck. One of the main
things is that whatever vehicle you decide on, make sure that it is
rated to do what you ask it to do. Even though the factory guys may bend
the specs a little to sell more stuff, they are still the best guide we
have.

Good luck,
John H.