[a/s] Canvas or vinyl awnings??

Hey All-

6 years ago we had a new Vinyl awning custom made for
our Silver Streak. Could not get one from Camping
World.
We choose a real nice Carefree teal stripe. The awning
has hardly been used but already is bad.  The top edge
where the sun hits it is deteriorating, to see "thru
status". Plus a branch fell on it this winter and
poked a hole in the top edge. I guess that we are
going to have to replace the entire thing, and buy a
chrome tube along the top for it to roll into. Perhaps
just replace the entire set-up, roller, arms and
everything, as the one we have is no longer available
with out a custom sewing job. This will be expensive.
My big question is, I think I might go with fabric, as
the fabric fender skirts we have still look like new.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Fabric or Vinyl?? Is
this normal age for an awning in the hot Arizona sun!??