Re: [a/s] Tow Vehicles

I am glad that this came up..........
Don't use glossy ads as an example of what to pull a trailer with!! I don't
know how long your trailer is but this is MY opinion.
First, let me tell you the story an Airstream Dealer owner told me. A guy was
towing a 34 foot Silver Streak that weighs in at nearly 8000 pounds down
Bumble Bee Hill between Sedona and Phoenix AZ. He had a 1969 Cadillac Sedan
Deville. Somehow he lost control and rolled the trailer so many times it was
unrecognizable. The car was O.K. He then proceeded to drive down to the
Airstream Dealer in Tucson, that happened to have another Silver Streak, same
length. He bought it, hooked it up to the same car, and drove off. This
incident taught the man nothing about tow vehicle safety! The conversation
came up when I was inquiring what to tow my 34 foot Silver Streak with. The
Airstream Dealer uses a 1 ton Duelly, and recommended at least a 3/4 ton truck
and better a 1 ton.
I proceeded to buy a 1 ton GMC duelly for mine and never have had a lick of
trouble towing it. I have seen some people towing trailers with the most
inadequate of tow vehicles. Roaring down the road without even sway bars or
level bars! I shudder to think about it! Any trailer over 30 feet, One, should
be pulled with a truck, not a heavy car. Two, with two level bars hooked onto
a weight distributing hitch system, Three, with 2, that is 2, sway control
bars. They should be tightened, not loose, when pulling, and have to be
loosened each time you back up.  As well, the whole rig should be hitched
level and adjusted by a professional. The rear of the trailer should not be
wagging down the road high in the air. You also need properly maintained
trailer brakes with a break-away switch, and chains that won't snap when the
trailer comes off the hitch. Of course also make sure your hitch ball latch is
locked down when towing and in good condition. When a big heavy trailer is
"fish-tailing" down the road, at 60 mph, hooked up to a hitch ball only, that
ball is ALL that is keeping that trailer hooked up! People that pull trailers
without following these guide lines endanger not only themselves, but everyone
else on the road! If a person cannot obtain the proper tow vehicle he has no
business towing a 8000 pound trailer among other motorists. Just because a
trailer like an Airstream, or a Silver Streak is so easy to pull, that you
don't know it is back there, does not mean it isn't a lethal weapon if it
comes unhitched from the tow vehicle!  The last time I weighed my 34 footer,
it weighed in at 7640 for the trailer, 1140 for the hitch weight, and the
truck weighed 7700 pounds. Total weight of 16,480. You also have to be careful
of the hitch weight. You need a hitch that is at least a Class 4 that can pull
10,000 pounds and a has 1000 pound hitch carrying ability when level bars are
used. (Depending on the size of your trailer of course). My truck is a "Camper
Special" with all the trailer towing upgrades. It has never broke down, or
failed to "handle" the trailer, I think it is perfectly matched for a 34 foot
trailer. I would want the same truck even for a 34 foot Limited,or Excella
Airstream.
Arizona Silver Streaker........