Re: [a/s] "Defensive Driving" Preparations

The main point in using the CB (at least for me) is that all the truckers use it
and by listening in to their (occasionally raunchy) conversation you can get a
good idea of what to expect on the road ahead.  More than once I have had a
trucker call my attention to some problem with the vehicle (once a dragging
power cord, once sparks coming from under a tire at night, turned out the steel
belts were coming off).  Also useful for asking directions from truckers, where
is the cheapest fuel, etc., etc.

I've also had a cop call me on the CB (Channel 19, the trucker channel!) to tell
me I was going too slow, my speedometer needed recalibration.  He was off duty,
on his way to work, and stuck behind me on a narrow winding country road ...

I use cellular for calling roadside assistance ... but there are some pretty big
"dead spots" in the Western mountains here and there ...

> Perhpas this would be a good time to refer everyone without an FCC
> license in amateur radio that the ARRL website provides at least
> rudimentary instructions as to how to enter the wonderful world of ham
> radio.   Or, just contact any ham you see or hear for info.

I'd be interested in locating that Web site ... I've plenty of experience in
marine VHF radio, as skipper of various research vessels and diving boats, but
would like to learn more ... in particular because I'm considering upgrading the
radio system in my coach, my old CB has seen better days ...

John

Susi and John Burchard
Tepe Gawra Salukis
saluqi@ix.netcom.com