Re: [a/s] New member intro.

I disclaim any expertise on this subject, but a while ago it came up in a
private discussion with someone living in, I think, Australia, where LPG powered
vehicles do seem to be a viable option.

I have seen a number of LPG powered pickup trucks on the road, of a size which
ought to be suitable for towing a travel trailer.  Several considerations make
it appear to me (the non-expert, remember), however, that this might not be a
good choice:

1) power: propane has a lower energy content than gasoline, so using the same
engine you will take a power hit which I've seen estimated variously at 15% to
30% power reduction.

2) cost: propane is not significantly less expensive, per gallon, than gasoline;
in fact in most places it seems to be if anything slightly more expensive.  That
is apparently different in some other countries.

3) availability: filling stations able to pump propane into vehicles (as
distinct from filling detachable bottles) are not found on every street corner.
If you are travelling cross country in a propane powered vehicle you are going
to have to do some planning to make sure you can refuel when you want to.  Some
parts of the country are relatively well endowed with propane filling sites;
others are not.  When I am camped in a small town in Wyoming, I have to drive
nearly 100 miles (one way) to refill the propane tank on my motor home.  There
is a propane filling station nearer than that (only about 40 miles) but it is
more often than not out of order, and then I have to drive 140 miles in the
diametrically opposite direction ... and you don't find out it is out of order
until you have gone there, the man tries to fill your tank and after half an
hour of messing around you discover that his pump won't do the job ...

4) prohibitions: propane powered vehicles are banned from certain roads, tunnels
and bridges.  The list is not long but does include some fairly major arteries,
depending on what part of the country you want to travel in.

5) bulk: propane tanks, because they must contain the fuel under pressure, are
limited to more or less cylindrical shapes which do not fit economically into
ordinary vehicles.  In a propane powered pickup truck the fuel tank occupies a
sizeable portion of the bed.  I suppose there would still be room for a fifth
wheel hitch but you would certainly lose some storage space for "stuff" while on
the road.

Perhaps someone with real knowledge of the subject can provide better
information.

John

Susi and John Burchard
Tepe Gawra Salukis