Re: [a/s] New Airstream(s) owner

Once again... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  It is true that,
consistent with their "Airliner" style, the coaches from the seventies
eschewed wood.  For example, my '72 Safari has almost no wood in it --
just the floor, the counter, and a few small hidden support posts and
shims.  Everything else is aluminum or laminate (great for aluminum
fever).  For my personal, austere, Tao/Zen-ish tastes this is perfect
(or will be as soon as I replace the avocado upholstery and carpet).
Lightweight, and minimal upkeep.

Tambour?  It certainly is fragile, but -- it equally has it's
advantages: rolls completely out of the way, requires no swing space,
and certainly helps keep the weight down.  And I LIKE the way it looks.
There are several sources of replacement tambour that I know of:

(1) your friendly local a/s dealer, or Jackson Center

(2) http://www.nationalproducts.com

(3) http://www.winonamanufacturing.com/

I haven't actually tried the last two yet, but they list some really
fancy materials, and  after I get rid of the avocado fabrics and have
the shell polished, I'm tempted to replace the standard tambour with
something really exotic (but consistent with my Zen taste).

Your other issues have been addressed exhaustively on these lists -- try
the archives at www.tompatterson.com -- then go to "Trailers" and next
to "Airstream
Postings".  This will lead you to his archives; look for the subject.

Since it is incurable, you may as well enjoy your aluminum fever (sounds
like you already have transmitted it to your wife).

				-- Lew #4239

'72 Safari
bicycle