Re: [a/s] Suburban furnace blower

Those are mud-dauber wasps (Sceliphron cementarium or relatives ...) which build
long tubular mud nests and provision them with paralyzed spiders as food for
their larvae.  They build inside barns or other structures and yes, alas, inside
RV furnace ducts.

Screen guards will keep them out.  They will also void the warranty on your
Suburban furnace.  The trouble with screen guards seems to be that they can
become blocked if the owner is inattentive, and might then cause a fire or
explosion.  Or just prevent the furnace from operating.  At any rate Suburban
specifically warns you not to use them (they talk about unauthorized and unsafe
aftermarket accessories ...)

I tend to suspect the problems arose from use of undersized, close fitting
screen guards.  There is or was also a large rectangular model which fits over
both intake and exhaust openings with plenty of room to spare all round.  I have
used one for years with no problems.  I do inspect it at least daily, but it has
always stayed clean and unblocked without intervention by me.

John

Susi and John Burchard
Tepe Gawra Salukis
saluqi@ix.netcom.com