[VACList] Stripping with your awning attached

Hidey-Ho Airstreamers.  I've gotten started stripping the clearcoat on our 1968
Safari in preparation for polishing and can wholeheratedly recommend the Napier
SV-35 stripper!  Works just like a stripper should.

My question for the group - what do you do with the awning?

Is it sufficient to mask the fabric edge attached to the trailer so you keep the
stripper off when washing down, or does the awning really need to come off?  And
in taking it off, how does one proceed - particularly with the fabric edge that
runs in the groove rail riveted to the roofline?  If the awning is in the rolled
up position, can you safely remove the roller from the vertical support arms and
then man-handle the awning out of the groove? Or do folks drill out the rivets on
the groove rail and take everything down without disassembly?  (That has some
limited appeal as it would provide the opportunity to reseal under this rail and
I've heard stories of this being a source of water leaks).  As always, your
guidance would be appreciated.

Again - two thumbs up for Napier SV-35 (available thru Aircraft Spruce).  Great
Stuff!

John Leggett
San Francisco
1968 Safari 22