Re: [VACList] Re: Tow vehicle recommendation needed.

Hi Jim,

Hope you are passing on your personal experiences?  I've 40K miles on my
F250 P.S. diesel, traveled across the U.S. pulling and only experienced what
you describe at small independent stations.  Certainly not at Pilot, T/A,
Flying J, etc.  Never had a problem with delivery from the big rig delivery
systems and seldom have a spill unless I'm trying to really top off the
level.  You should know that diesel really foams and it's very difficult to
fill a tank enough to over flow.  Most big stations keep some type of
absorbent to clean up spills (driver's responsibility).  Seldom worry about
stuff under foot and it's pretty easy to avoid stepping in any spilled fuel
(chose where you fuel).  Never had a big rig complain about my pick-up.
However, I do mind when the trucker decides to take a shower before fueling!
Most popular truck stops have "fresh" fuel (kind of important for a diesel)
and a price that can be as much as $.50 a gallon less than typical auto fill
stations with diesel.

Also, the truck stops have a decent window scrub brush that usually is in
great shape.  Also have a ladder so I can reach.  My 4X4 is quite high for
washing windows.  Never found an auto fill station with a decent window
brush.  As a side benefit, many of the truck stations will allow me to
shower, shave, etc.

Will never object to the diesel odor as long as there are so many rotten egg
smelling gasoline engines out there!  :)

Check out the new Ford 6.0 liter diesel - I'm told that the exhaust odor is
like a propane burner.

                                                                    '69
Safari, Joy