Re: [VACList] Re: Tow vehicle recommendation needed.

Dave:
Don't sell gasoline short as far as being able to provide power,
reliability and flexibility of use... If you plan a dedicated hauler for a
large trailer, or a Class A with a lot long road miles, diesel makes more
sense.. Pulling a small or intermediate size trailer over most any kind of
road is accomplished by the correct size gas powered truck without all the
problems handling the fuel that stinks and does not evaporate away...

A Diesel car owner friend terms a fuel up as a multiple baggie job where he
wears plastic bags on his feet and hands for the duration of the chore...
He also tries to plan around not having to fuel up while wearing his "good
clothes" .  Any kind of a spill or splash will make you the life of the
party...

Thinking you can fill up at the truck stops is something of a stretch...
You find you are not really wanted at the truck pumps and the nozzle
delivers way more than you can easily control causing a lot of spill... The
RV diesel pumps like at the Flying J stops are the answer, but they are not
always handy when you need the fuel....The surface around the truck pumps
has residual fuel that gets on your shoes and then on the rugs in the
truck... and sooner or later the cab smells like fuel oil...

Cost of repairs and periodic service and the added cost of the diesel makes
any kind of cost advantage kick in after 70k miles or so...

All in all not such a good deal, especially if you take it to the 7-11 for
supplies... I have been told to avoid trips that do not get the engine to
normal operating temp for any length of time...

All this and my wife's comments on the various smells and noises associated
with diesel made our truck a gas unit...

Have fun...

Jim