[VACList] Re: Tow vehicle recommendation needed.

This thread has been a good read for me.  I see that if I ever hit the
road seriously, I'll have to get a diesel.  Ten years ago we rented a
Renault SUV-type vehicle on two different trips to France.  Both were
diesels, both performed admirably.  Fun to watch the big cars relax when
we were cruising in the left lane at 80 or so with them.  When the hills
arrived, we knew better than to stay in that lane.  Starting was no
problem at all.  Interesting vehicles - two sunroofs in one (one for the
middle seat), came with screens to keep critters on the outside.  Best
interior feature: all the rear seats could be either removed or mounted
about 6" fore and aft on the floor -- great for a 6' family.

But we just take short trips a couple of times a year.  For that
gasoline is fine.  We tow a 3,500 + Caravel happily with a Toyota
LandCruiser.  Of course, this light trailer is probably relatively happy
towed with almost anything with enough power to handle the hills.  I
started with my '90 Mazda MPV -- loved that car -- but the transmission
did not care for the new-found weight.

I'm not fond of trucks and their diesel noise/smell, but as with the
Renault, I see things are getting better.

BTW, a Hummer looking nifty towing an Airstream?  Hell, your first
reaction from afar would be "where's the tow vehicle"?  I mean that
Hummer's so low to the ground, it would hardly cover the Airstream
propane tanks in a frontal view.  Maybe back to the bicycle?

Huff